Our Access Statement
Access Statement for the Alamah Guest House, Harrogate, UK
We aim to cater for the needs of every person who visits the Alamah Guest House.
However the house is 120 years old and is built on a hill and therefore there are steps to gain access to the front door, details of which are listed in the ‘Arrival and Car Parking’ section of this document.
All 8 bedrooms are on the first or second floor, up at least 17 stairs, which has a sturdy handrail on one side only (14 stairs in the case of Room 1 – an ensuite single room and Room 8 – an ensuite double room). Room 5 – an ensuite double room is up another 11 stairs and Rooms 6 – an ensuite twin / superking room and Room 7 – an ensuite family room are up an additional 5 stairs, making a total of 33 stairs.
- We are approximately half a mile to the town centre and less than mile to the bus and train stations. There is a bus stop within 250 metres of the house with a frequent service.
- There are several local taxi companies with whom we can book in advance for you.
- Guest Room Information, menus and fire regulations can be provided in large print if required. We regret we do not have facilities to prepare documents in Braille.
- Our website www.alamah.co.uk provides photographs of our accommodation and further information about the services we provide.
- Guests can contact us by telephone or email. Please see the ‘Contact Information’ section of this document for full details.
Arrival and Car Parking
- Guests should advise us of their anticipated time of arrival so that we can be sure we are here to welcome them.
- We have off-street parking for cars the length of a Ford Focus or shorter. This is at the rear of the Guest House clearly marked with a sign ALAMAH CAR PARK. We give guests a permit to park on a nearby road if they have a longer car.
- On arrival we ask guests to come to the front door. From the road there are 13 steps of approximately 7”. 6 of these steps have no hand rail and can be avoided by using a slope which loops around the front flower bed.
- From the Car Park there is a slope all the way past the side of the house.
- For guests with restricted mobility, parking in the Car Park, who can climb the stairs in the house, we offer access through our private accommodation via the back door, (as long as it isn’t during Breakfast Service) thus avoiding the steps to the front door.
We are very happy to offer any assistance with luggage.
- To access the front door there are steps (listed above) with a handrail to one side.
- There are two front doors. The inner front door is kept locked and there is a Reception Bell in the porch (original Victorian tiles) at a height of 3’3”. The doorway is 32” wide.
- On arrival guests are required to complete our registration form (large print format available) and will then be shown to their rooms when they will be provided with keys to their room and the front doors. There is one chair in the hall and others can be quickly provided if needed.
Guest Accommodation – Public Areas
- Our Breakfast Room is on the ‘ground floor’ and is accessed from our Reception Hall. It is approximately 16’ x 14’6”, with a large bay window overlooking Kings Road. The room is carpeted and has background music playing during breakfast.
- Seating is flexible, as our tables are ideal for two people and yet can be placed together to create bigger tables for larger parties. Chairs have seat cushions and are without arms. Menus can be provided with a larger print if preferred.
- Breakfast is waitress service.
- Special dietary requirements are catered for. Specific details are always welcome.
- Information on places to visit within the local area is freely available in the entrance porch, the hall and in the Breakfast Room there is a small library of books about the Yorkshire area for guests’ use. We try to be as helpful as possible in advising on locations to visit and places to eat.
- The stairs are 34” wide and 7” deep with a 10” tread and are fitted with a short pile carpet.
- There is no public toilet available.
Guest Accommodation - Bedrooms
- There is central heating throughout the house which is on during the day until after midnight. Guests can control the temperature of their bedroom and shower room with the thermostat fitted to the radiators. All rooms have a fitted carpet.
- Available in all rooms are Room Browsers with information about the local area and a Guest Information Folder (available in large print).
- Each bedroom has an electric kettle and hospitality tray with tea, coffee, hot chocolate, sugar, biscuits and bottled water. Each room also has a remote controlled digital flat screen TV, an electric hairdryer and an alarm clock radio with iPod dock.
- Bedroom doors are between 29” and 32”. Bed height is generally 23”. All rooms have a dressing table space, wardrobe and the appropriate number of bed side tables and chairs.
Room dimensions are given below, generally with the ensuite shower room taken off the overall measurement.
- Room 1, an ensuite single room is 10’6” x 7’6”. The ensuite shower room is an additional space and has a 7” step into the shower.
- Room 2, an ensuite double room is 14’ x 14’ and has a 9.5” step into the shower.
- Room 3, an ensuite twin room is 16’6” x 11’ with an 11” step into the shower.
- Room 4, an ensuite single room is 10’2” x 5’3”. The ensuite shower room is 10’2” x 3’7” with a 7.5” step into the shower.
- Room 8, an ensuite double room is 13’10” x 8’2” max. The shower room is an additional space with a 9.5” step into the shower.
- Room 5, an ensuite double room is 13’6” x 12’ with a 10.5” step into the shower.
- Room 6, an ensuite twin / super king room is 13’6” X 13’6” with an 8” step into the shower.
- Room 7, our ensuite family room is 15’ x 13’6”. The shower room is 8’5” x 5’2” with a 10” step into the shower.
- All bathrooms have vinyl flooring.
- All rooms are ensuite. The average height of the basins in the shower room is 31” and toilets are standard height in Rooms 3, 4, 6 and 7. In Rooms 1, 2, 5 and 8 toilets are higher at 18”. There is a handle fitted within the shower of Room 3.
- Wi-Fi is available for guest use
- All mobile phone signals are generally good
- We comply with the Smoke Free law and therefore there is nowhere to smoke within the house. At the front of the house there is a stone bench and ashtray provided for smokers.
- There are fire extinguishers on each floor (serviced annually) and information of what to do in an emergency is in all rooms. The fire alarm rings continuously if evacuation is needed. Please advise us if you have a hearing impairment and may not hear this. Evacuation is down the stairs and through the front door.
- We are happy to refrigerate any medication for guests.
- For medical issues or if you are feeling unwell and need a telephone health assessment, please call the NHS 111 service free of charge from any phone by dialling "1 1 1".
Address: Alamah Guest House, 88 Kings Road, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 5JX, UK
Telephone: 01423 502187
Future Plans for Alamah Guest House
- Summer 2012 – Upgrade of the Fire Alarm System to include lit sounders in all rooms and public areas.
- We also aim to fit a hand rail to the lower steps from the road. Currently an alternate route is offered via a slope.
Completed in Autumn 2012.
This Statement is due for review January 2015.
If you require further details or have any comments about the services we provide please do not hesitate to contact us.
Judy Penketh Sue Tindall
Proprietors, Alamah Guest House
Now > Book Now Let us
To You > Request Now Things to
do Out &
About > Explore Now
What They Say
'If you had a chain I would only stay there!'
T B Denmark
'Lovely to feel like a guest rather than just a customer.'
D W West Yorkshire
'Breakfasts were delicious - scrambled egg just perfect. Room was lovely and really well appointed, beds very comfy too'.
C & M Kent
'So often it is the little things which make an experience outstanding. Judy and Sue do the little things so well.'
T F Northampton
'You are made to feel special from the moment you walk in the door. You couldn't have a more friendly and clean place and we have visited lots. Thank you for a most enjoyable stay'.
R & C Leicester
'Excellent in all aspects. We have had a lovely break. Definately be returning here. Thank you both very much.'
M & T Derbyshire
'Fantastic service - accommodated various breakfast times each day for our party of 8. Rooms very well equipped, comfortable, touches of luxury which were not expected . . . .'
J W-S Kenilworth
'My wife and I have really enjoyed our stay here. Judy and Sue have been very friendly and helpful making you feel that it is home from home.'
T A Kenilworth
'I have very much enjoyed my stay at the Alamah. Judy and Sue are excellent hosts: friendly and considerate and organised.'
K H London
'The Alamah is a home from home and Judy and Sue are extremely friendly and attentive. We will definitely stay here on our next visit to Harrogate'.
J T West Yorkshire
Another very enjoyable stay in 'my room'.'
L B West Yorkshire
'A lovely stay as usual. Nothing ever seems too much trouble. Particularly like Room 2.'
R O Surrey
'Very cosy rooms, lovely shower room, excellent breakfast'
D G Preston
'Excellent Guest House experience and I'm copying your carpet! : )'
V M Merseyside
'Welcoming friendly service. Will definately book again.'
S P Suffolk
'Great service, very friendly staff! I felt at home. I have recommended to H R Department'.
C E de A Oxford
'The Alamah is a home from home and Judy and Sue are extremely friendly and attentive. We will definitely stay here on our next visit to Harrogate.'
J T West Yorkshire
'Excellent place to stay, close to centre of Harrogate and we really enjoyed our visit to RHS Harlow Carr'.
E & I Norfolk
'Well designed room - everything clean and thoughtful'.
N W Stixwell
'Another lovely stay in this excellent Guest House'.
J & M Bicester
'Great stay and all the facilities needed in our room. Bottles of water are a lovely touch'.
J & N Durham
'We received such a warm welcome and nothing was too much trouble. A great, luxurious stay. Thank you'.
L P Leicester
'Room, Dining Room excellent. Would recommend as a place to stay if visiting Harrogate'.
F S Shoreham by Sea
'This stay has been one of the best. The outstanding quality and exceptionally clean and well kept rooms are a credit and definately a place to recommend. Thank you for making my time here a very memorable one.'
B F Tyne and Wear
'Very high standard of cleanliness and decor. Food good quality and cooked to guest's satisfaction. Rooms well equipped. Guests well looked after. I would certainly recommend.'
Mr and Mrs F Glasgow
'My breakfast was excellent and due to an early start a pack-up breakfast was brilliant - many thanks'.
J J Newcastle
'Excellent stay. Very friendly service and atmosphere.'
A H Didcot
'All excellent, thank you so much. Warm friendly natural care - delightful!'
'Lovely clean friendly B & B. Appreciated the warm welcome and the interest in our comfort.'
Mr & Mrs S Barnard Castle
'Excellent service, wouldn't hesitate to recommend!!'
P & M London
'I loved my stay with you.'
M S Brighton
'Great service from start to finish'
B W Mold
'Have thoroughly enjoyed staying in your lovely guest house - thank you for everything.'
V & P Stourbridge
'I would recommend this Guest House in preference to a small hotel'
A P Scilly Isles
'Superb location for the Gift Fair at the Conference Centre'
'Staying here is a must'
L Colwyn Bay
'Price is extremely good value . . . would highly recommend'
S Leamington Spa
'Lovely to find a Family Room which is clean, bright and spacious enough for a family!'
Rouse Family London
'. . .fabulous breakfast which keep you going all day . . '
L S London
'Rooms clean with comfortable beds and excellent showers'
'First class breakfasts...'
'Owners made a hectic business trip a total pleasure'
'...my third stay at the Alamah'
'We rang the owners and got just the rooms we wanted!'
S Tyne and Wear
"Friendly, welcoming. Informative. Good location. Wonderful house.'
'You must try the eggs!
'If I am in Harrogate again, this is where I want to stay'
'Best stocked hospitality basket I've ever seen'.
'Won't be looking for anywhere else in Harrogate because of the lovely personal touches'
'You have the right ingredients for success'
'Breakfasts home cooked, delicious and enough to see us through the day'
'The location is perfect for exploring'
"Complimentary wi fi, bottled Harrogate spring water and bathroom toiletries. Plus free parking. Everything you need for a short break in Harrogate'
'The owners are friendly and the service extremely professional'
'Liked the cleanliness everywhere, friendly hosts, car park and a very good breakfast'
A M Stoke
'Going to Harrogate . . . .Stay at the Alamah - 5 star Alamah'
'We've stayed in many Guest Houses and this is one of the best'
K & S Northumberland
'Haven't stayed in a B and B for 10 years plus but so glad I did - brilliant stay, great location, superb service'
A W Cheam
"Thanks for being so friendly and helpful and paying such attention to detail'
B & J Chichester
'Loved the personal touch at breakfast with the scrambled eggs - amazing service!'
Angela Crouch End
'Thank you for your warm and welcoming service and for going the extra mile to deliver such personal care'
A P Scilly Isles (again)
'I always look forward to my stay - always a warm welcome, fantastic breakfast and the room is always well appointed - great tea and coffee and lovely towels'
'Best Guest House I've stayed in - very clean, super shower, comfy bed and friendly hosts'
B B Selby
'Lovely friendly welcome and attentive service made me feel very at home'
S S Ruthin
'I would love to stay if I'm up this way again - highly recommended. Thanks to you both'
'Will keep on visiting and recommending to others'
J & P Derby
'Old fashioned courtesy and hospitality at its best'
F F Somerset
'So glad you had a cancellation and could fit me in at short notice. I couldn't have wished for a nicer B & B. Thank you'
C K Swindon
'We have had a really lovely stay - thank you so much. Loved the room and the breakfast too. We can honestly say this is the best B & B we have ever stayed in'
K & D Norway
'Comfortable accommodation and fantastic service and breakfast. We would definitely stay again'
V and H Merthyr Tydfil
'Absolutely loved it! Spotless, personal service, fab location too!'
Z P Merthyr Tydfil
'A very comfortable and happy time. Thank you very much for the care and attention'
Mrs A J Leeds
'We have really enjoyed our stay at your comfortable, friendly Guest House. We will definately return'
J & M, Prestwick
'Excellent stay thank you. Everything catered for'
D G Warwickshire
'Thanks for making me feel so welcome, you have a lovely B & B indeed'
H T Helsinki
'Everything about the Alamah is first class, thank you. Will recommend to all our friends and family. Hope to return someday'
S & C Sunderland
'Enjoyed my second visit with you and will be booking for next year. Thank you for making my stay so lovely'
L A Devon
'As always - excellent. Many thanks'
M M Humbie
'Nice to have plenty of storage space - both hanging space and plenty of drawers. Also good to have proper non-slip hangers, not the captive ones (very irritating) Judy and Sue were both very friendly, very professional. Thank you!'
C & K London
'Super lovely B & B. Would strongly recommend and come back again. First choice accommodation in Harrogate! Thank you!
W M London
'Still as good as we remembered - thank you'
G O Wokingham
'Was fantastic and would love to book for 2015'
M E London N13
'Alamah Is certainly one of the best Guest Houses I've stayed in - and there have been quite a few!'
D A Amersham
'A charming house, a warm welcome and a relaxing stay! Thank you'
C H London SE9
'Great stay and very happy to have met you both and enjoyed a warm Yorkshire welcome. The breakfast was really excellent. Thanks so much both!'
M & G Twickenham
'Loved our room with the tree outside! And thank you for all the helpful advice about places to see.'
R W Wolverhampton
'Thank you both so much for our enjoyable stay - you could not have done it any better.'
T & D Surrey
'You both made us feel very welcome and comfortable. We have really enjoyed staying here and would recommend you to anyone visiting Harrrogate.'
L & A Hertfordshire